Auction 19 | Lot No. 58
Black as Night
Spring Mountain District
20 cases produced
- 95% estate Merlot from the Mailbox Vineyard with 5% estate Cabernet Franc
- This vineyard went through a second veraison, going from green to purple-black, hence the fanciful name
- Our abundant 2013 crop came in remarkably even, with every section within .1% of 24 brix
- A special Tonnellerie Elevage barrel was chosen to augment the natural spicy note from this vineyard
The 2013 Mailbox vineyard seemingly went thru a second veraision going from purple to black a few weeks after the normal turning of the fruit from green to purple. The first day I saw this I thought my aging eyes were playing tricks on me, I had not ever seen anything quite like it. When I hesitatingly mentioned this to Matt Gardner, our Gm and who is younger than I, He verified that he too had noticed this anomaly. The crop was also quite large but unusually even, everything looked perfectly black. And after picking the entire vineyard the sugars from the different sections were all within a tenth of a degree of 24 brix. Very developed and complex flavors for sugar levels that were slightly lower than normal. To finalize this wine we added a splash a Cabernet Franc to help illuminate these wonderfully subtle and vibrant flavors and then have finished the barrel aging in a select new French oak barrel to help augment the natural spiciness of this vineyard. This wine should age gracefully for quite a long time, especially in large format.
- Sustainably produced
- Wine is 100% estate grown and bottled
Winemaker, Keenan Winery
Began drinking wine at the age of 10. Worked under Joe Cafaro for Keenan's first harvest in 1977. Became director of Keenan Winery in 1998.
Country born: United States
Education: None - learned by experience.
Years in the wine industry: 15-20 years
Natural; allow the terroir and vineyard selection to let varietal character show through.
Cliffewood Wine Syndicate
111 Center Street
Little Rock AR 72201-4405
Premiere Napa Valley Wine Collection