Auction 21 | Lot No. 53
Stony Hill Vineyard
Spring Mountain District
5 cases produced
- This is the first time in our 64-year history that we have produced a Reserve Chardonnay
- We picked our best fruit from our first-planted vineyards, Blocks One and Two
- We captured only the free-run juice; fermented and aged in our oldest barrels
- Still our classic restrained style with no malolactic fermentation and neutral French oak
This is a project we have been wanting to do for a very long time. In our 64 years, this is our first Reserve Chardonnay. We picked the best fruit from our two original (and favorite) vineyards, Blocks One and Two. We captured only the free run juice, which was fermented and aged in our oldest barrels. Stylistically, we have not wavered from our classic restrained approach; we've just captured the best of the best.
- Single vineyard wine
- Wine was dry farmed
- Sustainably produced
- Wine is 100% estate grown and bottled
Winemaker, Stony Hill Vineyard
I started making wine with my grandfather in Sonoma at the age of 6.
My commercial winemaking experience began at Sterling Vineyards working for Rick Forman in 1969. In 1971 I moved to Stony Hill Vineyard to become vineyard manager, and in 1973 I also assumed the role of assistant winemaker to Fred McCrea. When Fred died in 1977, I became the winemaker and vineyard manager, a position that I still hold today.
Country born: United States
Education: Sonoma State College
Fresno State Viticultural School
Years in the wine industry: 30+ years
Make food-friendly wines that highlight the terrior of our mountain vineyards.
Minamiaoyama Hy Bldg 4f
7-3-6 Minamiaoyama, Minato-Ku
Premiere Napa Valley Wine Collection