Auction 24 | Lot No. 6
5 cases produced
- This Old Block Pinot Noir is the oldest block of Pinot Noir on the Truchard estate vineyard
- These vines were planted in 1974 on St. George rootstock with a heritage Martini Clone
- We are able to take full advantage of the clay soils, rolling hills and cooler temperatures
- Your resulting wine exhibits an intensity, texture and complexity that only mature vines can deliver
In 1973, cool and foggy weather - along with a few cows and sheep - dominated the southern part of Napa Valley, destined to become the Los Carneros nested appellation. Tony Truchard, along with a few other pioneers, saw potential in this relatively undiscovered and unplanted area. With a few Pinot Noir cuttings given to him by a neighbor, Francis Mahoney, and a passion for farming, Tony Truchard planted his first vines in 1974. Today, we are offering a taste made exclusively from those very vines which were planted over 45 years ago and are now producing low yields of very small and intense berries.
- Single vineyard wine
- Sustainably produced
- Wine is 100% estate grown and bottled
Sal De Ianni
Winemaker, Truchard Vineyards
Sal was the enologist for Cuvaison Winery from 1995-1997, then worked as harvest winemaker in 1997 for Margaret River Vineyards in Australia. From 1998 onward, he has served as winemaker for Truchard Vineyards.
Country born: United States
Education: B.S. Chemistry (Marquette University)
M.S. Analytical Chemistry (Northwestern University)
M.S. Viticulture & Enology (UC Davis)
Years in the wine industry: 15-20 years
Hands-off. Do all of the hard work in the vineyard and the winemaking is easy. Let the vineyard express itself.
Wine Hunter Imports, LLC.
7345 West Sand Lake Road
Orlando FL 32819
Premiere Napa Valley Wine Collection