Auction 28 | Lot No. 127
5 cases produced
- A distinctive Cabernet Sauvignon crafted by Matilda Scott, with Françoise Peschon and Mike Wolf
- 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, grown and produced at the Almacerro estate
- Exclusively from old vines planted in 1997 by Howell Mountain appellation founder Bill Smith
- At 1,800 feet above, an unobstructed maritime influence promotes a wine of balance and elegance
Making its Premiere Napa Valley debut, Almacerro is a new Napa Valley wine brand-to-know with a legacy that dates back to the late 1800s. Almacerro’s present day proprietor, Frank Scherkenbach, is only the second vintner to steward the property behind Howell Mountain appellation founder Bill Smith, who planted his first vines in 1997.
Surrounded by forest on all sides, the Almacerro estate is located in the southern-most tip of Howell Mountain. At nearly 1,800 feet, the grapes grown at Almacerro are unequivocally mountain fruit, with an unobstructed maritime influence from the San Pablo Bay that helps retain acidity and freshness. Together with his team, including winemaker Matilda Scott, vineyard manager Mike Wolf and winemaking consultant Françoise Peschon, Frank seeks to create forthright, balanced wines evocative of the wild place they call home.
This inaugural Premiere Napa Valley lot from Almacerro is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon comprised mostly of Clone 337 exclusively from 25-year-old vines planted by Bill Smith.
- Wine is unfiltered
- Single vineyard wine
- Wine is 100% estate grown and bottled
Françoise Peschon was raised in California’s wine country and earned a degree in Fermentation Science from the University of California, Davis, in 1985. She furthered her education through post-graduate work at the University of Bordeaux and an apprenticeship at Château Haut-Brion before returning to the Napa Valley.
Following stints at Stag Leap Wine Cellars and at Rombauer, where she worked with Tony Soter and Mia Kline, Françoise joined Araujo Estate Wines in 1993 and was named its winemaker 1996, a position she held for some 14 years before becoming the consulting winemaker there. She is now the winemaker at Vine Hill Ranch and Heimark Vineyard with consulting roles at both Cornell Vineyards and Almacerro.
Country born: United States
Education: Undergraduate degree at the University of California, Davis and Post-Graduate work at the University of Bordeaux
Years in the wine industry: 30+ years
Honors / Awards:
Winemaker of the year in 2019 by SF Chronicle and Winemaker of the year in 2021 by Antonio Galloni/Vinous.
Matilda Scott grew up on a sheep and cattle ranch in the western district of Victoria in Australia, close to the Cabernet Sauvignon capital of Coonawarra. Her first taste of the industry was picking Chardonnay grapes on her 11th birthday alongside her mother at Bowen Estate. Upon graduating high school, she undertook her first of three harvests at Wynns Coonawarra Estate whilst studying history at the University of Melbourne.
Inspired by two harvests at Arkenstone on Howell Mountain, she returned to Australia to complete a post graduate diploma in Viticulture and Oenology with the University of Adelaide. While studying fulltime she also worked at Sons of Eden for two harvests. Returning in 2016 to Arkenstone, Matilda worked alongside Sam Kaplan and consulting winemakers at the facility including Françoise Peschon. The following year the two started at Almacerro as assistant and consulting winemaker, with Matilda gaining the title of winemaker in 2021.
Country born: Australia
Education: Current - WSET Diploma student
Post-Grad Dip Viti and Oenology University of Adelaide
BA University of Melbourne
Years in the wine industry: 15-20 years
Be true to the terroir.
Almacerro is distributed in the following markets. Please contact the winery directly for the most up-to-date distribution information and to explore commercial opportunities.
Almacerro Contact: Lindsay Dale
- California ( Kimberly Jones Selections )
- Colorado ( Momentum Beverage )
- Florida ( Monsieur Touton Selection )
- Georgia ( Hemisphere )
- Hawaii ( Ohana Beverage )
- Illinois ( Momentum Beverage )
- Kansas ( RNDC )
- Maryland ( Monsieur Touton Selection )
- Massachusetts ( Monsieur Touton Selection )
- Michigan ( TWP )
- Minnesota ( Small Lot Wines )
- Missouri ( RNDC )
- Nevada ( Imperial )
- New Hampshire ( Monsieur Touton Selection )
- New Jersey ( Monsieur Touton Selection )
- New York ( Monsieur Touton Selection )
- North Carolina ( Advantage )
- North Dakota ( Small Lot Wines )
- Ohio ( Heidelberg )
- Pennsylvania ( Grapes to Glass )
- Rhode Island ( Monsieur Touton Selection )
- South Dakota ( Small Lot Wines )
- Texas ( Victory )
- Virginia ( Monsieur Touton Selection )