Auction 28 | Lot No. 25
Coquerel Family Wine Estates
Walnut Wash Vineyard
10 cases produced
- 100% Sauvignon Blanc from our esteemed Walnut Wash Vineyard in Calistoga
- All Clone 1, which is known for its ability to produce the best quality fruit with fragrant flavors
- This wine is aging sur lie for eight months with frequent stirring to increase body and mouthfeel
- Aging in a new Bel Air French oak barrel
The heart and soul of Coquerel Family Wine Estates is the Walnut Wash Vineyard, a property that sits in the afternoon shadows of the Mayacamas Mountains. The 2023 vintage was a bit cooler and wet year. We chose Block 4 for this lot which is planted in gravel soil and makes it ideal terroir for this vintage. This block is located next to a small creek and with its gravely soil, this block is well-drained and warmer than the deep clay soils, giving the Sauvignon Blanc fruit a little advantage on maturity during this cooler vintage. Your wine was fermented with special yeast strains chosen for their ability to enhance flavors, texture and aromatics. It is aging sur lie for eight months in a new French oak Bel Air barrel with frequent stirring to increase body and mouthfeel. This powerful yet balanced wine offers a distinctive interpretation of Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc.
- Single vineyard wine
- Sustainably produced
- Wine is 100% estate grown and bottled
Winemaker, Coquerel Family Wine Estates
Christine Barbe has always had a passion for Sauvignon Blanc. While a Ph.D. student in Enology at the Bordeaux Institute, she began making wine at Château Carbonnieux and La Louvière in Pessac-Léognan. For the next five years, she worked almost exclusively with Sauvignon Blanc, learning how to determine by taste the precise time to harvest the grapes to maximize the aroma and flavor of the wine.
Country born: France
Education: She holds a Ph.D. in Enology and Viticulture from the Bordeaux Institute and has extensive experience crafting Sauvignon Blanc—first in her native Bordeaux and now for more than 20 years in Napa Valley.
Years in the wine industry: 20-30 years
Christine understands the importance of picking the best fruit at the right moment, making multiple passes through our vineyard to ensure that grapes are harvested at peak ripeness and balance. In the French tradition, she allows the vineyard to dictate the style of the wine..
Coquerel Family Wine Estates is distributed in the following markets. Please contact the winery directly for the most up-to-date distribution information and to explore commercial opportunities.
Coquerel Family Wine Estates Contact: Stacey Pytlewski
- California ( Authentic Wine Selections )
- Illinois ( Novovino )
- Iowa ( Wineworks, Inc. )
- Mississippi ( Pilar Wine Brokers )
- Montana ( Cardinal Dist. )
- Nevada ( Encore Beverage )
- New Mexico ( Santa Fe Boutique Wines )
- North Carolina ( 3 Keys )
- Oklahoma ( Armada )
- South Carolina ( 3 Keys )
- Texas ( Mexcor )
- Japan ( Nakagawa Wine Co. )
- Puerto Rico ( Aficionados Wine )